Monday, January 23, 2012

The Smurfs


Generally as you would know if you follow my blog, I try to do a paragraph/section dedicating it to all of the good things that I enjoyed about that particular movie, but fuck it. There are so many things wrong with The Smurfs that even finding 4-5 sentences of nice shit to say about it would be a chore that I am too lazy to attempt.

Just like about every other family movie out there with some odd/different character (s), The Smurfs' "plot" is that they somehow manage to fall out of their world and land in NYC, disturbing the lives of Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and his girlfriend Odile (Jayma Mays). And like all of these family movies, there's a bad guy that also manages to get out of this strange world, resulting in a cat and mouse chase between the two, the villian in this one being Gargamel (Hank Azaria). Same ol shit, different day.

There's such a little amount of story going on here that I can't even imagining this shit flying in a 30 minute episode of a Smurfs television show. It's so damn bare in terms of plot that it's like taking a shoelace and trying to lasso someone from China with it. It gets old quickly and I can't even imagine children above the age of 5 being entertained by this. Any type of humor, joy, or interest is sucked out as well. This movie feels like it was made on the thoughts of not wanting to make a movie at all. There's nothing present in The Smurfs that doesn't feel totally stock, standard, and devoid of any heart, intrigue, or humor. I feel like everyone involved in this movie was just as blue as the main characters. Then again, can you blame them?

1/4

1 comment:

  1. I felt bad because I took my niece and nephew to see this movie. It was lame.

    ReplyDelete