Monday, January 26, 2015

As Above, So Below


This one was another surprise for me, I was expecting a complete Shit-show from the previews/other reviews but I was pretty pleasantly surprised overall. The beginning is flimsy and solid characterization crashes and burns as quickly as the characters' plan to achieve success and fortune but what happens inside the catacombs is pretty intriguing. It looks absolutely stunning and I was at times reminded of The Descent (never a bad thing to be compared to) with how well certain scenes were filmed to make the viewer feel completely claustrophobic, isolated, and unknowing of what lurks around the corner. The ending could have packed a bit more punch as it feels rather hokey and last minute, but luckily the middle is watchable enough for me to walk away somewhat pleased.

3/4

No comments:

Post a Comment