Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Final Destination


The Final Destination (what a dishonest title) is totally different then the first three in the series. Petty things like character development and fairly solid performances are totally out the window. There's something so unapologetic about how TFD plays out. This is a bittersweet compliment.

Like I just said, in terms of story and performances/characters, this is easily the worst in the franchise. Just about everyone either overdoes it and/or doesn't play it up enough. You really don't give a shit who dies, and I would be lucky if I could remember one thing that's said by each of the characters. This is easily the least interesting set of victims throughout the Final Destination series.

On the other hand, there's something so...bold about the formula for this one. While I wish it would have been a bit longer in order to flesh out some story elements, I felt like this one flew by at a brisk 80 minute time, which already gets some bonus points from me. There's very little downtime between kills which often pleased the inner gorehound in me. Some of the effects are really awesome as well, I loved the format used for the recreation of the accidents in past Final Destination movies, and the scene at the end that creates the big accident in this movie.

So, while I wish that The Final Destination had tried to be more of...well, a movie, I have to give it some props on the awesome pace, and new twist or two with how the deaths play out (I loved the visual clues that the main guy received before each death). It's not a great movie by any means, but for filler gorefests...you could do a lot worse.

2/4

No comments:

Post a Comment