Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hanna


I knew nothing about this movie before I started watching it, and in a weird way, I think that's the best way to watch something like this. Not knowing too much which as a result, can keep your expectations pretty low.

First off, I have to talk about Saoirse Ronan's performance as Hanna. I think this girl is such a star, I loved her in this movie and in Atonement, and to her credit...she was the best thing about The Lovely Bones, slow narration and all. She not only gives Hanna the attitude of a total badass who will snap your neck before you can even blink, but she even gives her a heart and soul as well. Amongst the chasing and killing that goes on through the movie, there are some scenes which are surprisingly effective.

The story is another strength as well. It pretty much is easily able to reach out to a broad number of people. It's active enough to satisfy those who like a little brain action with their adventure, and it's easy enough to comprehend to those who don't really like thinking that much when they are watching a movie like this. How many action movies in this time can say that they do that? Not many.

Speaking of the action, I was quite impressed. The editing of the scenes was awesome. Unlike most action movies, I actually was excited to watch the scenes where Hanna totally laid the hurt down. It's not like most action movies where you're pretty much watching 2 hours of someone's computer generated effects. Hanna looks really real in the fighting scenes, which I have to give some credit for.

Hanna is a fantastic movie. A lovely surprise in a quite dismal year so far. I recommend it to those who like exciting action movies, and to those who like thinking and watching in amazement at the same time. The performances and story are as strong as the action scenes, which pretty much just make Hanna an awesome movie for just about anyone. :)

3/4


No comments:

Post a Comment